Industry Data

Serving hotels since 1839

The hotel industry is a significant sector of the Australian economy.  In addition to providing employment opportunities for more than 270,000 people across the country, hotels are significant consumers of locally supplied goods and services, provide much-needed support to local sporting and community organisations, and provide a valuable service as a meeting place and entertainment hub for both tourists and the local community.

In 2009 the AHA commissioned PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) to conduct research into the significance of the hotel industry in Australia.  The report, Australian Hotels: More than just a drink and a flutter reported the following figures on the industry:

  • 188,000 employed (pub-style hotels only).
  • 88% of pubs are independently owned, while the remaining 12% are affiliated with larger chains.
  • The average Australian hotel employs 34.7 people.
  • Hotels spend $515.6 million annually on security to keep venues safe.
  • Hotels provide more than $75 million annually in support to sporting and community organisations.
  • Hotels spend more than $70 million each year on staff training and development.
  • Spending on wages and salaries amounts to 21.9% of total hotel expenses.
  • Hotels host around 250,000 live music performances every year, providing unique opportunities for the development of local music talent.

Click here to view the full PwC report.

The Australian Bureau of Statistics undertakes regular surveys of the hospitality industry, with recent reports finding:

  • Average accommodation hotel occupancy across Australia was 72.7% in the 12 months to September 2010, with an average room rate of $147.65.
  • Employment in the accommodation sector is around 90,000 people nationally.  This is in addition to the 188,000 employed in the general pub sector.

Corporate Partners

alm AFE13_FOXTELforBUSINESS_LOGO_usethisone ME Bank Elite logo final.eps Lion_primary_rgb AFE13_CUB_LOGO bat host_plus
AHA13_Aristocrat 60years Web Version Shop_Small_Aus_Associate_Partner aon_logo_red_small2 ainsworth AFE13_AmericanExpress_LOGO CCA FOR EVERY OCCASION LOGO_ON WHITE Franklyn Scholar Schweppes master logo may 22 qantas
TWE_AUS_Logo_PMS_Horiz_OT diageo AFE12_AAA Tourism IGTNew_Logo_blue_rgb SHFL Entertainment AHA13_NewFOX_SPORTSVenues_Colour coopers-script_ss YB13_TourismAustralia_NEW LOGO
tabcorp